Bartending Courses

Become a bartender in one day!

Anyone interested in learning how to bartend is welcome to sign up! You do not have to be a current Penn student or affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania in order to register for PSA Bartending courses. Please note the minimum age to attend one of our courses is 18.

Next AVAILABLE course dates: September 28th & November 16th

  • Course Date Schedule:

    • TiPS Certification: 10 AM - 1 PM

    • Mixology Course: 2 PM - 5PM

Course Registration Instructions:

  • Keep an eye out on our Facebook page for announcements regarding our upcoming course dates.

  • Space is limited, so a wait-list for the following class will be provided for those who are unable to take the next available course.

Each course date offers three course structure options: 


All-Inclusive TiPS  and Mixology Package ($189)

6 hours

The All-Inclusive Package includes the Mixology Course and the TiPS Course. Aspiring bartenders must successfully complete the all-inclusive course in order to be considered to join PSA Bartending as a Staff Bartender.  


Mixology Course and Recipe Book ($139)

3 Hours: Irvine Auditorium

The Mixology Course is a fun and instructive way to learn all about mixology and bartending! Students learn bartending skills, practice mixing drinks, and receive an instructional booklet with dozens of drink recipes. 


TiPS Alcohol Safety Training  ($79)

3 Hours: Williams Hall

TiPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) is the global leader in education and training for the responsible service, sale, and consumption of alcohol.  In the TIPS course, students will learn about alcohol safety, customer management, and accident prevention.


Bartending Kit*: ($40)

Bartending kit including shaker, strainer, quick pourers, corkscrew, ice scoop, speed opener, and bar spoon.  Make sure your bartending skills don't get rusty with our bartending kit! The kit includes everything you need to professionally mix delicious drinks.

*Bartending kits are required for those who would like to bartend for Penn Student Agencies, although you do not have to purchase through us.


When are classes offered?

We typically offer one or two bartending courses each Fall & Spring semester. 

Do I have to be a University of Pennsylvania student to take the PSA Bartending courses?

No, our classes are open to anyone and everyone interested in learning how to bartend! 

Do I need a license to bartend?

The state of Pennsylvania does not offer or require bartending licenses. However, certification from an established professional school will provide you with skills to both find your first bartending job and be comfortable behind a bar from the beginning.  

PSA Bartending courses provide students with a TiPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) certification, a nationally-recognized certification in alcohol safety and accident prevention.

I'm not sure I want to be a professional, but Iā€™d love to learn more about mixology!

Then our classes are perfect for you! Our price is low enough for people interested in gaining personal knowledge as well as those looking to find employment afterwards.

how old do I have to be to bartend?

In the state of Pennsylvania you only have to be 18 to bartend!

Does PSA Bartending help with job placement?

Because we are a student-run agency, all Penn students who graduate from our bartending course have the opportunity to apply to work as a PSA Bartender. For non-Penn students, we would be happy to offer a recommendation to assist in your bartending job search.