PSA Bartending

General Questions, Comments, or Concerns?

Please enter your query in the box below. 

Name *


Frequently Asked Questions

When are classes offered?

We typically offer two to three bartending courses each Fall & Spring semester. 

Do I have to be a University of Pennsylvania student to take the PSA Bartending courses?

No, our classes are open to anyone and everyone interested in learning how to bartend!  Part of Penn Student Agencies, we are located at 117 Williams Hall, 255 S. 36th Street, on the University of Pennsylvania campus.

Do I need a license to bartend? Does PSA Bartending give certifications?

The state of Pennsylvania does not offer or require bartending licenses. However, certification from an established professional school will provide you with skills to both find your first bartending job and be comfortable behind a bar from the beginning.  PSA Bartending courses provide students with a TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) Certification, a nationally-recognized certification in alcohol safety and accident prevention.

I'm not sure I want to be a professional, but Iā€™d love to learn more about mixology!

Then our classes are perfect for you! Our price is low enough for people interested in gaining personal knowledge as well as those looking to find employment afterwards.

Can I take the class if I am under 21?

Yes, in the state of Pennsylvania you only have to be 18 to bartend!

Does PSA Bartending help with job placement?

Because we are a student-run agency, all Penn students who graduate from our bartending course have the opportunity to apply to work as a PSA Bartender. For non-Penn students, we would be happy to offer a recommendation to assist in your bartending job search.

How do I hire a bartender?

Simply go to our Event Services page and fill out the request form. We will get back to you as soon as possible!

How much does it cost to hire a bartender?

Our starting rates are $25 per hour per bartender.

Who are your bartenders, and how do I know that they are qualified?

All of our bartenders are undergraduate or graduate students at the University of Pennsylvania.  Each student bartender has taken our mixology course, completed a TIPS Certification for alcohol safety, and has passed a required bartending exam.

Do you provide alcohol or glassware?

Unfortunately, PSA cannot provide alcohol, mixers, garnishes, or glassware for events.  Our bartenders do come prepared with a corkscrew, bottle opener, cocktail shaker and strainer, and speed pourers.